We have also been meeting people from all over the city. Everyone is friendly and open to talking and discussing similarities and differences between cultures, which I find interesting since it challenges and changes perspectives that I've created in the US. I enjoy spending time outside of the Northeastern group to explore Buenos Aires and hear what the people who actually live here have to say about their city. And I have always loved making new friends.
Notable Trips of the Week:
1. La Exposición Rural
On Tuesday our group went to La Rural, an agricultural fair that's comparable to a giant Big E placed in the heart of Buenos Aires. There were sheds with horses, cows, goats, and pigs, as well as a huge exhibition hall filled with massive farm machinery. I'm used to seeing livestock at fairs like these but seeing all of the farm tools really drove home the fact that Argentina's economy relies completely on agriculture. These machines were giants, some over twenty feet tall and twenty feet wide. It felt like we were in a sci-fi movie -- they could have been spaceships.
| One of the food stands. |
2. Estancia Don Silvano
| They had a scary toucan. |
We rode horses, saw and listened to a traditional Argentine band and dancers, and had a meal of various grilled meats. After lunch there was a horse show where the ranch employees demonstrated the various skills and tricks of the Argentine guacho, or cowboy. I thought the coolest part was when they stood on their horses back.
They also fed us empanadas as soon as we arrived, so there's really no way I could say anything remotely negative about this day. It was really great.
| Estancia Don Silvano |
3. Día Del Amigo
Sunday was día del amigo in Argentina, which is a national holiday celebrated in honor of friends. Sam and I chose to spend the day in Palermo shopping at the street fair that's held there every Sunday. One thing that I really like about Argentina is that the majority of little booths and street sellers I've seen set up on the streets sell handmade goods, which I'm kind of unused to seeing in the land of "made in China" stickers. The street fair was no different, with each booth boasting a different sort of handcrafted jewelry, leatherwear, or art. It was cool to be able to look around and speak with the artists and sellers, as well as watch a lot of them create their goods.
__________________
This coming weekend our group will travel to Uruguay, a country that neighbors Argentina. I'm excited for this and will make sure to take in as much as possible!

No comments:
Post a Comment